Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Mama's Meatball Subs

These are not your typical mama's meatballs. My mama is not Italian. She was bragging about how good her meatballs were for about a week when I couldn't take it anymore and decided to show her up. I ate meatball subs for a week straight. Not kidding, I couldn't stop. Before I made these I couldn't remember the last time I had a meatball sub but now the love affair has been reignited. Again, these are not your standard italian meatballs....I know they normally use veal, beef, and pork but I don't have the money to buy all that. I had lean ground beef (because it was on sale of course) so I tried it out to see what would happen. I like to think that they are somewhat healthier then the original but I love cheese so whatever. Sometimes you gotta live a little!!

1 lb. lean ground beef
1/4 cup panko breadcrumbs
1/4 cup parmesan cheese
2 tbsp milk
1 egg
1 tbsp. minced garlic
2 tsp. dried oregano
2 tsp. dried basil
1 tsp. salt and pepper (to taste)
Few shakes of Worcheshire sauce
Sub rolls
1-2 slices of provolone cheese per sub
Extra parmesan cheese to garnish
Marinara sauce (I used Prego because...it was on sale and I had a coupon! I will tackle the homemade stuff in another post)

Combine the first 10 ingredients in a bowl. Mix until combined and can form balls. Be careful not to overmix. If the mixture is too runny just add some extra panko until it forms.

Roll the mixture into large golf ball sized meatballs. Preheat the broiler to 500 degrees. Place meatballs onto foil lined baking sheet.


 Broil the meatballs for about 15 minutes (depending on size). The meatballs should begin to brown but keep an eye on them so they do not dry out. Turn the meatballs and broil for an additional 5 minutes until browned all the way around. While your meatballs are in the oven heat up your sauce on the stove.

When the meatballs are lightly browned remove from oven and add to sauce. The meatballs should be submerged so they can soak up all that saucy goodness. Let the meatballs hang out in the sauce for 20 minutes or until you can't take it anymore and need to eat.


Once your meatballs are done gettin' all flavorful it's time to assemble the sub! Whoop whoop! Heat up that broiler again to get the sub nice and toasty. Cut the sub rolls part of the way through so they still hold the meatball without spilling. I used 2 meatballs per sub. Top with 1 or 2 slices of provolone and place under the broiler until melted. Do not walk away! Turn on the oven light and stare. Stare like you are walking by the purse display at Louis Vuitton.

Garnish with some extra parmesan if you still haven't had enough cheese. Sit back, take a deep breath, and start shoveling!

Not my favorite picture, but I was starving at this point. You get the idea!

No comments:

Post a Comment