Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Spicy Tuna Tacos

I'm back from my brief hiatus!! Sorry! I was crazy busy at work and then I got sick. Throat infection, only eating soup sick so there wasn't a whole lot to share food wise. It has been a fun week! HA! To lighten myself up from the fact I laid on the couch the whole weekend I decided to make one of my favorite tacos from Taco Boy on Folly Beach. These are so yummy but they cost about $4 each ("market price" is code for SURPRISE!). I got this 1/2 lb of tuna for about $5 and it wasn't even on sale! I used to do these with a wet marinade but decided to try the blackening seasoning and I really loved it, and it's so easy! These are also great with mahi mahi or whatever is local, and fresh to your area. Again, it's a guide for you to play around to suite your own taste. This is SPICY!! So be ready and adjust to your taste buds. I'll help you along the way. Letsssssss go!

Ingredients
1/2 lb. ahi tuna steak
2 tsp. paprika
1 tsp. cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1/2 tsp. dried oregano
1/2 tsp. Old Bay seasoning
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/4 head red cabbage, sliced thin
1/8 cup Japanese white sauce (I use Terry Ho's)
2 tbsp. low sodium soy sauce
1/2 tsp. prepared wasabi
Corn Tortillas
Lime wedges

Start by preparing the blackening seasoning in a small bowl. Combine the paprika, cayenne,  pepper, oregano, old bay, and garlic powder and stir together. Coat the tuna with the seasoning and allow to marinate for 30 minutes.



In a medium high skillet sear the tuna for about 2-3 minutes per side for rare. 




While the tuna is searing slice the red cabbage into thin strips. Whisk together the white sauce, soy sauce, and wasabi together for the dressing. If it sounds too spicy you can omit the wasabi or add in a dollop of sour cream.


Remove the tuna from the pan and allow to rest for a minute or two. Warm the tortillas in the pan to soften. Slice the tuna into thin slices.

Seriously! It's beautiful

Add the tuna to the corn tortillas. I use 2 tortillas per taco because I tend to overload them. Spoon some sauce over the tuna and top with red cabbage. Add some additional sauce if you are feelin' in and garnish with lime wedges. This is such a great summery, fresh, and light meal that looks like it took a lot of time and effort!




No comments:

Post a Comment