Sunday, May 13, 2012

Asian Chicken Burgers with Wasabi Coleslaw

Happy Mother's Day!! I am a dog mom and he gave me lots of puppy kisses for mother's day :) Nerd alert! I hope you made something special for your mom or yourself! Sunday is my grocery day so I always get to eat well on Sunday nights, and don't get me started on Sunday night tv. Season finale of Mob Wives, Real Housewives, and Sister Wives!!! Can you tell I'm in a long distance relationship?? Get it together...ground chicken was on sale this week and I was determined that I could find something delicious to do with it although the idea of a "chicken burger" didn't exactly make me drool. I ate so bad this weekend and really felt physically bad because of it. My stomach was off, I felt bloated and unhappy. I forced myself onto that treadmill this morning to get back to reality. Don't be lazy!! It's amazing how much your body reacts to eating well and working out. Once you start your body will crave it! I promise you that chicken burgers, if done right, are fab! I expected a dry, flavorless patty but it was moist and spicy and the addition of COLESLAW was like angels singing! It made the burger have a spice and crunch that sent it right over the edge. Coleslaw goes with everything in my world. You will not be disappointed by this healthy alternative to a greasy burger (although delicious in moderation). Simple alternatives to classic meals with make you feel satisfied and you won't feel like you are missing out!

Asian Chicken Burger Ingredients (makes 2 burgers)
1/2 lb. ground chicken
2 tsp. minced ginger
1 tbsp. scallion, diced
1-2 cloves garlic, diced
1/2 juice of a lime
1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs (start with less and slowly add to bring mixture together)
1 egg yolk
Pea sized squirt of prepared wasabi
2 tbsp. teriyaki marinade
1-2 tsp. low sodium soy sauce
1/4 tsp. salt, pepper
1 tbsp. fresh minced parsley
2 store bought kaiser rolls, or hamburger rolls of your choice

Wasabi Coleslaw
1 cup tri color coleslaw mix
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1-2 tsp. prepared wasabi (start with less and adjust according to your level of heat)
1-2 tsp. lime juice
2 1/2 tsp. red wine vinegar
1/4 tsp. sugar
Salt and Pepper to taste


In a mixing bowl, combine all the ingredients for the burger (minus the roll obviously) and lightly mix together. Be careful not to overmix or the chicken will become gummy. This mixture will be sticky and softer then a traditional hamburger. Form the patties and refrigerate for 30 minutes to 1 hour to allow the patties to thicken up and come together.


While the burgers are chillin' whisk up the dressing for the slaw. Combine all the ingredients (minus the actual coleslaw). Taste as you go and adjust seasoning for your taste. Wasabi is a creeping heat that hits the back of your tongue so start slow and work up. 


I like to keep the cabbage mixture and dressing separate until right before serving to keep it extra crunchy. 

Once the burgers are ready to go preheat the grill or grill pan to medium high. Cook the burgers over medium high for 1-2 minutes on each side then lower the heat to medium low and cook an additional 3-4 minutes per side. The chicken should not have any pink but be careful not to overcook or it will dry out. 


While the burgers are cooking broil the buns under the highest setting of your broiler until brown. Spread some of the wasabi dressing over each side of the bun while it's warm.


Mix the remaining dressing with the cabbage. Add the burger to the bun and top with coleslaw.


Goodness!!!! Check out the grand finale.


Such a yummy, light summer meal that the whole family will love!

Adapted from Food Network

No comments:

Post a Comment