Monday, July 16, 2012

Crab Bruschetta

Crab, crab, I love crab! I used to HATE tomatoes, totally hate, pick them out of everything. I used to hate most things actually. What happened!! Now I'm the bottomless pit. I got obsessed with bruschetta last year and was eating it a few times a week (so unnecessary, really). The addition of crab meat steps up this effortless appetizer. When I make standard bruschetta I use fresh mozzarella but for this recipe I think it takes away from the flavors. Then there's the whole Food Network no seafood and cheese rule, which I clearly don't abide by. I have had this appetizer at a few restaurants around town and it never fails me. You will be the star of the party if you serve or bring this app. Or make your special someone feel fancy with a cozy night in and a bottle of wine. They will love it and you will too!

Ingredients
1/2 of a baguette, sliced into crostini
1 tomato, seeded and diced
1 garlic clove
1 tbsp. fresh chopped basil
1-2 tbsp. Olive oil
2-3 tbsp. Balsamic Vinegar
Fresh Lump or Backfin Crab Meat (I use about 1 tbsp. per crostini
Salt and Pepper to taste

Preheat the broiler to the highest setting, mine is 500 degrees. Slice the baguette into crostini, about 1/2 inch thick. Place the crostini onto a foiled lined baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil. Bake for 1-2 minutes or until golden brown. Don't walk away!

While the crostini are broiling seed and dice the tomato.



Place the diced tomato in a bowl and cover with balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper.


This is my go-to for tomatoes!!
Flip the crostini and broil for another 1-2 minutes. When the crostini comes out of the oven and is still hot, rub with the peeled garlic clove. 

Please ignore my raggedy nails. 
Top the garlicky crostini with 1 tbsp. of crab meat each (or as much as you want). I like a lot! 


Spoon the balsamic tomatoes over the crab and garnish with fresh chopped basil. 

Nom nom nom!!!
I suggest you shovel this as fast as possible to avoid sharing! Pair with a fresh, crisp Sauvignon Blanc (is there anything better??) and you have yourself a perfect, light and fancy appetizer. You know you want a bite...


No comments:

Post a Comment