Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Artichoke and Feta Stuffed Chicken


As promised, I made something other than red meat!! I always have chicken on hand in the freezer because I stock up like a hoarder when it goes on sale buy one get one free. When I stock up I separate into individual portions and freeze. I'm such an innovator, right?! Kidding. Chicken gets a bad wrap because, be honest, it can be kind of lame...unless it's fried. I don't go to a restaurant and order a chicken entree. I order a steak or seafood...or if I am paying for myself just an appetizer or a salad. But there really is so much you can do with chicken. It's a staple and a go-to so don't hate. Like always, I use what I have available in the fridge and pantry.  For some reason I had artichokes in my head so that's where I went. Enjoy!

Ingredients 
2 boneless skinless chicken breast
Salt & Pepper to taste
1/4 cup light balsamic vinaigrette dressing (I used Ken's, they always have coupons)
1/2 can artichoke hearts in water
1/2 tomato, seeded and diced
1 tbsp butter
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 shallot, minced
1/4 cup white wine (I like Sauvignon Blanc)
2 tbsp feta cheese (more or less depending on your love of cheese)
Optional: splash of balsamic vinegar and fresh parsley to garnish

Start by butterflying the chicken so you can stuff it. Do this by sliding the knife parallel to the cutting board but don't cut the chicken all the way through, or you will just have two chicken cutlets. Open it up like this...


Sprinkle both sides of the chicken with salt and pepper to your taste. Place the chicken in a ziploc bag and add balsamic vinaigrette. Let it marinate while you start the stuffing mixture.

For the stuffing preheat a skillet on medium low. Add butter and olive oil to the pan. Chop the artichoke hearts into quarters. Mince the garlic and shallots.



Add all the ingredients to the skillet and let it saute until soft. Add the wine (directly from the glass you are drinking from, classy). Throw in the tomatoes last.

I got new cookware! Thanks to B's mom for the great birthday present!
While the mixture is sauteing, preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Place the marinated chicken on a foil lined baking sheet and add the mixture to one side. Top with feta cheese and fold the other side of the chicken over.



You may need to use toothpicks to keep it closed if you have a monster piece of chicken like I did.


Cook the chicken for 25-30 minutes depending on thickness. When the chicken is finished drizzle with balsamic vinegar and sprinkle with feta cheese, and parsley.


Here's the yumminess that you will see when you dive in...




Try and tell me that chicken is boring! 

No comments:

Post a Comment