Monday, April 23, 2012

Skirt Steak Pitas with Garlic Aioli

I am such a carnivore. I swear I eat things other than meat. It's just not as exciting to blog about. That's awful. After this post, and the subsequent post with the leftovers I will be posting chicken, veggies, and pasta. I promise. But I'm not sorry because this was so good! The best part...I paid $3.52 for the skirt steak on sale at Harris Teeter. Hollerrrrrrr! I'm love a sale!

Skirt Steak & Marinade
1 lb. skirt steak (or flank steak)
2 tbsp Dale's Steak Seasoning (or use Worcestershire mixed with soy sauce)
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tsp. pepper (I didn't add any additional salt because Dale's seasoning is SALTY)

Garlic Aioli
1/4 cup olive oil mayonnaise
Juice of 1/2 lemon
2 cloves garlic, minced
Salt and pepper to taste


Assembly Ingredients
White or Whole Wheat pitas sliced in half
Feta cheese (or whatever cheese you have on hand)
Chopped Parsley
Balsamic marinated tomatoes (fresh diced tomatoes, seeded, and marinated in balsamic vinegar)

Mix the ingredients for the marinade in a wide dish and add the skirt steak. Coat the steak on both sides and allow to marinade for a few hours. I let it go overnight because I'm a grad student and I've got that kind of time to avoid doing a case study and focus on food. So let that puppy "merinate".



While the steak marinades whip up the garlic aioli. Whisk all the aioli ingredients together in a bowl until combined. You are looking for the mayo to loosen up and for the sauce to be pourable. And garlicky!!


Now for the grill. I had to do this part myself because B is gone. I'm learning the skill on the grill but I now smell like smoke and steak. I was also scared for my eyebrows....cheaper than waxing I guess. I digress. Preheat the grill to medium high and let the steak sit out at room temperature while you wait. Once the grill is heated lower the heat so you don't char your face off and cook the steak for about 5 minutes and flip. Cook for 3-5 more minutes depending on thickness and preferred doneness.

They see me grillin', they hatin'! I wish I could have captured my face but Peyton (my dog) doesn't know how to work the camera. 
Remove from the grill and allow the steak to rest for 5-10 minutes to allow the "juices to redistribute". Food Network what.


Slice the steak against the grain (or the direction of the fibers of the steak). This will keep the steak tender and juicy, not stringy. Be sure to toot your own horn after.


To assemble this package from heaven slice the pita bread in half and open the pita pocket gently. Fill with the slices of steak and top with feta cheese, balsamic tomatoes, and of course garlic aioli. Ready for this...



I couldn't decide which picture I liked better. I ate this in under 2 minutes flat. It might be more accurate to say I inhaled it. And you will too :)

No comments:

Post a Comment