Sunday, April 22, 2012

Bacon (sometimes blue cheese) Coleslaw

I love coleslaw. Love, love, love it! I cannot get enough. B hates it. I don't think he has even tried it but he is convinced it's horrible. Weirdo. I eat it as a snack I love it so much. This recipe is a make at home version of one of my favorite restaurants in Charleston called Fat Hen. Just look at the menu, it's like heaven! They make a Bacon Blue Cheese Coleslaw that is to die for. I overdid my blue cheese obsession so I didn't use it in this version, and I didn't have any on hand. This slaw is the perfect side for BBQ, seafood, sandwiches, you name it.

Ingredients
1 bag tri color coleslaw
1/4 head shredded red cabbage (I never feel like there is enough in the bag stuff so I always add more)
1 cup mayonnaise
5 tbsp apple cider vinegar (or red wine vinegar, I have made this with both and it's equally delicious)
1 tsp. pepper
1 tsp. salt
1-2 tsp. sugar (depending on how sweet you like it)
1 tbsp fresh chopped parsley
1 tsp. chopped green onion
1-2 tbsp. bacon pieces
Optional: 1-2 tbsp blue cheese



Combine mayo, vinegar, salt, pepper, sugar, parsley, green onion, and blue cheese (if using)  in a mixing bowl. Whisk until all ingredients are combined.


Shred the red cabbage to the desired thickness and toss in the dressing with the bag of coleslaw mix. Toss until mixed. Sprinkle with bacon pieces and extra parsley to garnish. 



No comments:

Post a Comment