Sunday, April 22, 2012

Homemade BBQ Sauce and Ribs

The food bender is over. B had to leave today :( Back to "runnin on the treadmill and only eatin' salad" (Who knows the song?!). Sike! Salad is my pre meal warmup. Back to watching trashy tv would be more accurate. We ate pretty well last week and now it's time to tell y'all about it. So first up we have homemade BBQ sauce and ribs! I made the sauce and B did the ribs. I don't mess with him and his ribs. I will try to describe his process to the best of my ability so bear with me (side note is that the right use of bare vs. bear, I should probably know this...)! According to B the BBQ sauce was delicious. It took him a few tastes to figure out what it needed then he couldn't stop tasting it. I would recommend making a big batch. We used the whole batch at once so now I need to remake. This is a slightly sweet and vinegary sauce, perfect for a rainy Carolina afternoon.

Homemade BBQ Sauce
1 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup ketchup
1/2 cup red wine vinegar
3 tsp. Worcestershire Sauce
1 tsp. paprika
1 tsp. ground mustard
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp garlic powder
2-3 shakes hot sauce (I use Frank's, add more or less depending on your taste)


Combine all ingredients in a bowl. Whisk together until sugar is completely dissolved. That's it! The longer it hangs out in the fridge the more the flavors will deepen. Make a lot! I promise you will fly through it!


Here's it's photo shoot with B's ribs hanging out in the back. 


Ok, B's slow cooked ribs. These are pretty simple and amazingly delicious!! Coat the ribs in the dry rub of your choice. We used Sticky Fingers BBQ rub. It's a local rib joint in Charleston but use whatever works for you. 



Wrap the ribs in foil and let them slow cook in the oven on 200 degrees. B let them go for about 4 hours basting them in between with a little of the BBQ sauce and the fat from the ribs. After they have tenderized in the oven he covered them with more BBQ sauce and finished them on the grill over a low flame for about an hour. The sauce will caramelize and get a yummy crunch to the ribs. We served it with my bacon coleslaw recipe (next post). 

Now the moment you have all been waiting for!! Cue lights and music.


B can throwdown on the grill! See ya soon Bobby Flay! Haha :) Summer time is here! Atleast in Charleston...



No comments:

Post a Comment