Monday, April 30, 2012

Jerk Chicken, Pineapple, and Jalapeno Quesadillas

I wish I could take credit for how mouthwatering and tingling this recipe is, but it's not my original thought. The fab Pioneer Woman blogged this, I saw it and had to try and make it my own! My mouth was burning and I loved it! Shocker...sometimes I don't feel like cooking. It was almost a random snacks for dinner kind of night after my yoga class but I pulled it together and decided this was more than worth the (little) effort. I used a jerk marinade instead of BBQ sauce...it takes me back to spring break in Jamaica, oh lord! Play some reggae, and enjoy a Red Stripe or a Ting while you make this spicy snacker. Try not to put on a dance show on your patio or backyard, we are too old for that now. Sad face!!!

Ingredients (for 1 stacked quesadilla)

1 boneless skinless chicken breast
2 whole wheat flour tortillas
1/4 cup jerk marinade (I used Lawry's, it's buy one get one free often, and coupons are easy to find)
1 whole jalapeno, sliced (remove the seeds if you aren't into spice)
1 small handful parsley, chopped (or cilantro, I have a love/hate relationship with cilantro)
1/4 - 1/2 cup cheddar cheese (or as much as it takes to cover the tortilla....I <3 cheese)
1/4 cup pineapple, sliced into sections (I use the precut stuff)
BBQ sauce for drizzling (try the Homemade BBQ sauce or whatever you have on hand)
Sour Cream for serving

Start by marinating the chicken in the jerk marinade for at least 30 minutes. Jerk marinade has a ton of ingredients in it, so for a girl on a budget it's easier to buy the prepared marinade. Don't reinvent the wheel. Skewer the pineapple pieces and place both the pineapple and the chicken over medium heat on the grill (or grill pan). Grill the pineapple until it starts to get brown and caramelized. Grill the chicken until the juices run clear and it's white in the center. Remove the chicken and pineapple from the grill to assemble. While you are getting everything together preheat a nonstick skillet. Slice the jalapeno into thin slices, removing the seeds if you don't want the heat.



Chop the parsley, pineapple, and chicken and layer onto the tortilla with half the cheese. Add the jalapenos.


Drizzle the BBQ sauce over top and add some more cheese and the top tortilla.


In a nonstick skillet heat the quesadilla on both sides until brown and the cheese is melted. It should take a couple minutes per side depending on what type of tortilla you use. Once it's melty and yummy cut into quarters and serve with sour cream and garnish with parsley.


It's so spicy, and sweet and naughty! The combination is perfect. It keeps you eating, and eating, and eating. Not that I need any help with that!!! :)



No comments:

Post a Comment