Thursday, May 3, 2012

Baked Pork Egg Rolls

Oh Thursday night, how I love you! Especially since the semester ended yesterday, woohooo! Had a kick booty spin class today followed by going back to work at preschool (love those kids), and trying a new recipe and a new wine! Simple pleasures of life. Egg rolls are kind of a mystery to me. I didn't grow up eating a lot of chinese food and I have a serious aversion to rice (it's a texture thing, I know it's weird) so I didn't experience many egg rolls. B loves chinese food, or should I say sesame chicken, and he got me...intrigued. I was wandering around the gro' sto' as I like to call it and I saw egg roll wrappers and impulse bought. Then I had a coupon for ground pork and it went on sale and here we are now. That's how decisions are made in my life. Side note: I have turned into my mom. There was a $2 off coupon on the ground pork that the cashier forgot to pull off. I went back to Harris Teeter with my receipt today and the coupon and got that $2!!! Every dollar counts!

Egg Roll Ingredients
1 package egg roll wrappers (usually in the produce section)
1 lb ground pork
1 tbsp. olive oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tbsp. ginger, minced
1 tbsp. shallot, minced
Salt & Pepper to taste
1/8 cup low sodium soy sauce
1/2 cup shredded carrot
1/2 cup mushrooms, chopped
2 cups shredded cabbage
1 tbsp. minced chives, extra for garnish

Spicy Dipping Sauce Ingredients
1/8 cup low sodium soy sauce
1/8 cup teriyaki sauce (I use Lawry's)
1 tsp. Japanese White Sauce
1-2 tbsp. prepared wasabi (depending on taste)
1 tsp. mined garlic


Preheat a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add olive oil, and saute garlic, ginger, and shallot until soft. Add ground pork and cook until it's no longer pink. Season with salt, pepper, and soy sauce. Add the mushrooms and allow to cook for 1-2 minutes to soften. Add the carrots, cabbage, and chives, and warm through.


Allow the mixture to cool for a few minutes before wrapping. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.

To make the egg rolls place one wrapper diagonal on the cutting board and spoon in about 2 tbsp. of the mixture. I used a wooden spoon full. Add the mixture to the center of the wrapper.


The rest I will describe in pictures. Because I am lazy.


Fold the bottom to meet the center.


Bring in the sides. Wet the ends of the top triangle to seal the egg roll as your roll it over. Spray a foil lined baking sheet and drizzle the egg rolls with olive oil. Bake for 12 minutes or until lightly browned.


Assemble the dipping sauce by combining the above ingredients. This recipe will make a ton of eggrolls. I didn't even use all the filling. Way too many for one person. Invite some friends over or freeze for later or just gorge yourself. Whatever works for ya! I got photo happy :)



Yep that's my electric yellow nails! 





No comments:

Post a Comment