Monday, April 9, 2012

And the pickles...

My new obsession in life is made from scratch. My first jump into this is refrigerator pickles. I doubted them because I am....really, really, scary picky. Like weirdly picky...I dry my carrots with a paper towel before I eat them. Sidenote: I also say "like" a lot according to my dad and my boyfriend, so just get over it now because I'm too old to change it...sorry! Anyway, I love this recipe. I cannot stop eating them. I permanently smell like a pickle...life can be worse, it's not tuna. The recipe is so scary easy that if it gets out (and we stop being lazy) the pickle industry would be bankrupt...not that I know the finances and all that jazz of the pickle industry (the bf is the numbers man). I was always hesitant to make these because of the whole complicated canning process and again how picky I am. I like my pickles crunchy and firm, no exceptions. TRUST ME on this, I know it's early in the relationship but try. No canning, no time at all! You cannot mess it up or not like it. Promise.

Refrigerator Pickles
3 cups water (straight up tap water, nothin' fancy)
6 tbsp white vinegar
3 tbsp kosher salt (I prefer kosher salt over regular salt so the brine doesn't get cloudy)
4-5 Kirby cucumbers (these are the stubby, cute cucumbers you usually look over)
1 tsp cracked black pepper
1 tbsp minced garlic (fresh or minced in the jar)
Sprigs of dill to taste (I use quite a lot because I love the freshness of dill)
Red pepper flake to taste

Combine water, vinegar, and salt in pitcher. Stir to combine and dissolve salt.

Add half of the sprigs of dill to the bottom of a mason jar (I recommend using wide mouth jars unless you have a really skinny hand). Cut the Kirby cucumbers into spears and add to the mason jar. I prefer flesh side out for presentation but I am also OCD, so do what you want, they inevitably move around anyway.

After adding the cucumber spears add the remaining dill sprigs. Add brine mixture to fill the jar.  Top with minced garlic, black pepper, and red pepper flakes (if you are looking for spice). Seal the jar (no canning process required) and place in the refrigerator for about 2 days. Try to control yourself from opening to smell and taste the brine, but you won't hurt them if you do. Because I did. Many times.

After 2 days, gorge yourself on pickley goodness. Then make a few more batches for everyone you know (they make a great present for any occasion). They should last in the fridge for a few weeks but I promise you will eat them all before that!

No comments:

Post a Comment