Thursday, May 10, 2012

Pantry Pork Chops

I had a couple different names for this one but my dad chose pantry pork chops and I'll explain why. I am POOR right now y'all. Like the kind of poor when you have $50 until payday (which is next week) and you need gas in your car and bills need to be paid! Ahhh! Oh well! I had a lot of ideas about making stuffed pork chops with all these yummy ingredients but this girls bank account had other thoughts. So after staring at the fridge, closing it, walking away, going back and continuing to rifle through as if all of the sudden a secret garden would show up I pulled this together. I was not disappointed! This marinade is one of my absolute favorites, you know because I love balsamic. These pork chops were huge and so cheap! I have had them in the freezer for a little while when I got them for a ridiculously cheap price. They are such a great alternative to the standard chicken breast, although this recipe would be equally fabulous with it. You can still eat well on a budget!!! (Side note: This recipe was for 1 (sad face) so adjust for your serving size.)

Dijon & Balsamic Pork chops
2 tbsp. dijon mustard
1 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
1 tbsp. olive oil
1/2 tsp. minced garlic (or 1 clove)
Sprinkle of salt and pepper to taste
1 thick cut pork loin chop, butterflied
1 tbsp. fresh parsley to garnish

Mushroom Sauce Ingredients
1 cup sliced portobello mushrooms
1 tbsp. butter
1-2 tsp. olive oil
1/2 tsp. garlic
1/4 cup white wine
1/2 tsp. cornstarch
Salt and Pepper to taste

Combine the marinade ingredients and coat the pork chop in the marinade. Allow it to marinade for about 30 minutes, the longer the better. I like to save some marinade on the side for drizzling on the finished product.

My HUGE pork chop! Already butterflied!

Marinating isn't pretty but it's worth it!
Preheat the grill over high heat then lower to medium high and add the chops. Grill about 4-5 minutes per side depending on the thickness of the chop. Pork is very lean and can still have  some pink, unlike chicken. You want it to be juicy, not dry, so keep an eye on it. You can also bake these or use an indoor grill pan.

While the chops are grilling make the mushroom "sauce". Heat a large skill and add butter, garlic, and olive oil. Over medium low heat add the mushrooms and let them slowly brown and soften. 


When the mushrooms begin to brown season with salt and pepper to taste. Add the wine to deglaze the pan and reduce to a sauce. Once the wine reduces add the cornstarch to thicken and let it simmer over low heat until the pork chops are ready to serve. 

Remove the pork from the grill and spoon the mushroom sauce over top. Garnish with chopped fresh parsley (directly from my garden, so it's FREE!). I use the leftover marinade for dipping and drizzling because I love it that much!! Here's the finished meal made solely from what's on hand. It's all about using what you have and not spending a fortune for a delicious meal. I love that feeling!



With some extra sauce :)

No comments:

Post a Comment