Tuesday, May 8, 2012

First Try Homemade Marinara

Sunday, Sunday, Sunday! Ok it's Tuesday but I made this on Sunday. I was Suzy homemaker on Sunday (mainly because I was bored) and tried out homemade marinara as part of my make from scratch obsession. It was easyyyyy. For someone who doesn't eat a ton of pasta and only buys sauce when it's on sale and have a coupon (obvs), it always seemed easier to buy than slave over the stove but let me tell 'ya...I was wrong! This is so easy to make as long as you have the time to let it simmer. It's basically a throw it together and wait kind of recipe and who doesn't love that? Now I am not an Italian grandmother (obvs again) but I think this is pret-tay good! Just the right texture, salt, and spice to make the perfect pizza or pasta. Mangia!


Ingredients
1 24 ounce can crushed tomatoes
2 tbsp. olive oil
4-5 cloves of garlic, minced
1/2 white onion, minced
1 tsp. salt (season to taste as it simmers)
1 tsp. pepper
1/2 tsp. red pepper flake
2 tsp. dried basil
1-2 tsp. dried oregano

To start the sauce heat a large saucepan over medium heat. Chop the onions and garlic until you feel like your eyes are going to fall out (maybe that's just me). I even tried wearing sunglasses, cool look in the kitchen BTW. Coat the bottom of the hot saucepan with olive oil and saute the onions and garlic until they are soft and translucent.


Here's where it gets difficult. Add the tomatoes and...everything else and turn down the heat. Let it simmer for about 2 hours. Taste as you go and season to your liking. 


Not exactly chemistry, right? You can do it! Once it has finished cooking let it sit in the fridge overnight so the flavors can mingle and develop. Did I say this was easy or did I say this was easy? 

I should work for Ball Mason Jars :)






No comments:

Post a Comment