Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Eggplant Involtini

Say what!!!! No carb lovers rejoice! It's like manicotti sans pasta. I am delirious right now...woah! Back working at the preschool plus starting the day with a run and the craziest spin class I have ever taken has made me a little loopy. Seriously, half the class quit in the middle. I really thought I would pass out after 45 minutes, but I made it! And I can't stop eating now. I made this recipe yesterday, I won't even get into the randomness of what I ate tonight. It was not "blogworthy". I'm also really excited to post this because I GOT A NEW CAMERA! I ordered it from QVC which is one of my secret behaviors. It's so bad I know but I can't help it. B was about to kill me when I told him but I am beyond thrilled with my purchase! As you probably know by now I make what I have on hand and what is on sale so this recipe was perfect after making my Grilled Veggie Sandwich and Homemade Marinara. I had half an eggplant left hanging out in the fridge and saw this recipe in a recent issue of Cooking Light. I adjusted the recipe to my taste and what I had but it is still super healthy and tasty! Perfect for your next Meatless Monday :)

Ingredients
6 thin slices of eggplant (about 1/2 small eggplant)
2 tsp. extra virgin olive oil
Salt and Pepper to taste
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 cup part skim ricotta
1 egg
1/2 lemon, juiced
1/4 cup shredded mozzarella, extra to garnish
1 tsp. or 1 clove minced garlic
2 tbsp. shredded parmesan cheese
1/2 cup marinara sauce
2-3 leaves of fresh basil, chopped or 2 tsp. dried basil

Preheat your broiler to its highest setting, mine is 500. Slice the eggplant vertically (about 1/8 inch thick). Place the slices onto a foil lined baking sheet and drizzle eggplant on both sides with olive oil, salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Bake for 4-5 minutes per side, depending on thickness.


Allow the slices to cool until they can be handled, about 10 minutes. In a food processor (or mixing bowl if you don't have one) combine ricotta, mozzarella, parmesan, garlic, lemon, and egg until smooth. 


Fill the eggplant with the ricotta mixture and roll up to look like manicotti. 


Place the rolls seam side down in a baking dish with a layer of marinara. 


Add all the rolls and cover with marinara sauce. Sprinkle extra mozzarella and/or parmesan and bake in a 375 degree over for 20-25 minutes.


Garnish with fresh basil and extra parmesan (if you LOVE cheese like me). Tell me you miss the pasta and carbs. You don't and don't you lie! This is coming from a carb lover to the core!!!



The perfect bite!

No comments:

Post a Comment