Sunday, May 27, 2012

New Orleans Style BBQ Shrimp

I don't want to trick you but this has NO barbecue sauce. Can I tell you how many times I had to type barbecue to get the spelling right? Hello Master's in Early Childhood Education, what are you teaching me! And where is the "Q" in barbecue. So misleading! I saw this recipe on my usual Friday night routine of watching "Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives" on Food Network...yeah that's right, that is what I do on Friday nights! Usual side note: I am watching My Big Fat American Gypsy Wedding on TLC right now. Are you watching this!? You need to. This episode is in SC and I have to go there. So OFF TOPIC!!! Back to reality. We have amazing shrimp here in South Carolina. They are absolutely huge and reasonably priced. There are so many ways to make "skrimps" and I was trying to push out of the box of peel 'n eat, and shrimp tacos. I heart them both but wanted to switch it up. This recipe is so easy, maybe 10 minutes total. I used it more as an appetizer because I only got a 1/4 lb of shrimp to fit my tiny, tiny budget and fear of wasting good food. To stretch your budget serve over grits, rice, pasta, or mixed veggies. It's phenomenal. I don't know if you can make shrimp taste "bad" anyway. Ask Bubba Gump.

Ingredients (1 appetizer portion)
1/4 lb. large shrimp (shells on, deveined)
2 tbsp. butter
1/2 tsp. garlic
1-2 tsp. hot sauce (I use Frank's)
1-2 tbsp. Worcestershire Sauce
1/2 tsp. low sodium soy sauce
1 tsp. fresh lemon thyme
2 tsp. fresh parsley, mined (divided, half for garnish)
Juice of 1/2 a lemon
Salt and Pepper to taste

Start by prepping the shrimp. Remove the legs and devein by running a knife across the belly to remove the grimy stuff. Keep the shell on for flavor! Sorry I couldn't take a picture of the procedure...I'm only one person!


Start the sauce by sauteing the butter, garlic, hot sauce, Worcestershire, soy sauce, herbs, lemon, and salt and pepper over medium low heat. I started tasting, and tasting, and just eating after a few. 


Add the shrimp and cook for 2-3 minutes per side or until the shrimp begin to turn pink and curl up.

Side One

On the flip side
Once the shrimp have finished cooking, remove from the skillet and pour the remaining sauce over top. Garnish with fresh parsley and lemon juice. Remove the shells and tails to eat of course! I guess if you didn't already know that you would learn pretty fast. 


And here's the aftermath. Yes I did lick the plate. Nothin' but shells and tails y'all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment