Wednesday, June 13, 2012

The BEST Wedge Salad

Have I told you lately that I love you, wedge salad?! I have no idea why I love wedge salads so much. I am not a huge fan of iceberg lettuce but for some reason this salad just makes me happy. It's so easy that I'd hardly call it a recipe. Basically just assembly and mixing (if you make the dressing yourself). It doesn't look like it but it makes a HUGE salad. Add some protein and you have a complete meal. I love to get this salad when I go out and have appetizers and don't want a big entree. It's not necessarily healthy (thanks blue cheese and bacon). This "recipe" is insanely simple and allows you to use what you have on hand or what you like best. I love using balsamic tomatoes because they add a freshness and acidity to the creamy salad. Making the dressing from scratch makes all the difference on this salad. It adds that something special to a few simple ingredients. Viola!!

Ingredients 
1/4 of an iceberg lettuce head (wedged with the core removed)
1/2 of a tomato, seeds removed and diced (marinate with balsamic vinegar to cover)
Matchstick carrots (I <3 them, use as much as you like)
Real bacon pieces (See above)

Blue Cheese Dressing Ingredients
1/4 cup lowfat buttermilk
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1 tsp. apple cider vinegar
Dash Worcestershire
Dash of Hot Sauce
1/4 cup of blue cheese
Salt and Pepper to Taste
1 garlic clove, minced

Try and stay with me for these difficult steps :) Mix the ingredients for the dressing together in a mason jar and shake. Refrigerate for atleast 30 minutes to let the flavors come together.

Peel the outer leaf of the lettuce off and cut the head of lettuce in half.


Remove the core by cutting diagonally around it and slice the halves into quarters.


Top the wedge with some of the dressing. Use more then you think you need because the wedge has a lot of layers! I know...FAT KID!



Add the tomatoes, carrots, and bacon.


Add a little more dressing to complete the look! I don't know if this should even be called a salad but yummmmm! Just don't eat it before every meal. 


No comments:

Post a Comment