Saturday, June 2, 2012

A-Z Asparagus & Zucchini Pasta

See what I did there? A-Z? I didn't even plan that! I made this the other night out of randomness in the fridge and pantry after a long run. I was starving and ready to carb load! Being a grad student I have to be creative with what I have on hand but being a foodie I need to eat well. Some nights I am starving and just want to eat junk and I have to push myself to make something. Anything! Pretty much anything you make at home is going to be better than fast food (not that I don't indulge myself every now and then). This recipe can be adapted to whatever you have on hand. Add chicken, more veggies, pancetta, oh my! I normally try to make most of my sauces and things from scratch but I also weigh price issues to see what is the best deal (and doesn't sacrifice taste). For this recipe I used the new Philadelphia Cooking Creams (1/3 less fat) because it was on sale and I had a coupon!! I can't turn away from a deal. Budget budget budget! Putting it all together I'd say this recipe was under $5, and I was FULL. After a long day the simplest recipes are the most satisfying. And no fast food/take out guilt after!

Ingredients 
1 cup whole wheat penne pasta
1/4 cup Italian Herb & Cheese Philly Cooking Cream (1/3 less fat)
1/2 tsp. minced garlic
1 tbsp. olive oil
5-10 asparagus spears, chopped into 1-2 inch pieces
1/2 zucchini, shredded (I used a mandoline)

Optional Garnish: 
Parmesan cheese
Fresh chopped basil
Bacon pieces

Boil water for pasta. Cook the pasta until al dente, about 6-7 minutes. Keep a small amount of the cooking water to thin the sauce. Prep asparagus, zucchini, and basil.



While the pasta is cooking add the olive oil, garlic, and asparagus to a skillet. Cook the asparagus until soft. This will vary depending on the thickness, mine were pretty thin.


Once the asparagus are just about cooked, add the zucchini long enough to warm through, only a minute or two. 



Add the cooking cream and a teaspoon or two of the cooking water to thin the mixture. Toss in the hot pasta to coat. Plate it up and garnish with parmesan cheese, fresh basil, and some bacon pieces (I can't help myself!). How easy!! Less time than it would take you to pick up something. I think you might be able to sneak this to your kids or a picky man :)

No comments:

Post a Comment