Thursday, June 7, 2012

Chicken Enchiladas

Have I mentioned I love mexican food? Mainly because I love cheese, and carbs. Why!!!?? Before B moved to Madagascar (joke) we used to get Mexican every Thursday night. Best cheap date night ever! I have actually never ordered an enchilada from a mexican restaurant. I get so caught up in tacos that I overlook them. I really need to branch out! I have made them at home several times and I want to be best friends with them. Me + Chicken Enchilada = Love. I always thought they were really hard to make but oh no! I used the leftover chicken from my Herb & Jalapeno Chicken Breast but you could also use a store bought rotisserie chicken or a boneless skinless chicken breast. This is the best of 2 meals with one main ingredient. Throw in the greek yogurt instead of sour cream, roll it up, bake and eat! I also use store bought enchilada sauce because it's delicious and cost me $0.89. You cannot buy the ingredients to make it for that cheap. Budget without sacrificing flavor! On a completely unrelated note: I have a large hornet locked in my spare bedroom right now. It flew in the house, I tried to spray it...missed and now here we are. I'm terrified to open the door. Just wanted to share that tidbit.

Ingredients (makes 4 enchiladas, I can only eat 2...at a time)
1 cup cooked, shredded chicken (I use the leftovers from my Herb & Jalapeno Split Chicken Breast)
4 corn tortillas
1/2 (10 oz.) can red enchilada sauce (divided)
1/2 tbsp. vegetable oil
1/4 cup diced white onion
1/4 cup plain greek yogurt (extra for garnish)
As much cheddar cheese as your heart desires
Chopped parsley or cilantro to garnish

In a nonstick skillet cook the onions in the vegetable oil until they are soft and translucent. Once the onions are ready add the chicken and half the enchilada sauce to heat through.


When the chicken is just about ready add the greek yogurt and cook for 1-2 more minutes. The yogurt adds some creaminess and pulls the mixture together. 



Remove the chicken from the pan and warm the tortillas until pliable in the pan drippings. Once the tortillas are ready fill with the chicken mixture and top with cheddar cheese.


Roll 'em up baby!


Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Add the rolls to a foil lined baking pan that has also been sprayed with cooking spray. Top with the remaining enchilada sauce and more cheese, please!


Bake for about 20 minutes until the cheese is melted and the tortillas begin to brown. Remove from the oven and allow to cool before serving. Top with parsley or cilantro. 




It's hard to take a pretty picture of an enchilada. Especially when you are salivating! I added some more greek yogurt and some guacamole. Creamy, spicy goodness!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment