Sunday, July 1, 2012

Chicken Souvlaki

Holy hiatus! Where have I been? Sick (again, thanks preschool), work, school, life! Time to get back to bloggin! There is so much to catch up on. Man oh man is it hot outside. I don't know if you've heard, ha! I just finished up a super savings shopping trip. I saved $57 and spent $41. Love it!! Anywho...I love this recipe because I get to use ingredients fresh from my garden. My cucumbers are taking over the porch and climbing the railings. They are huge! Tomatoes are popping up everywhere! The dill is a small forest, and sometimes I catch Peyton snacking on it. Souvlaki also reminds me of college. We had this greek place next to the gas station across from my house (Dave's Taverna for my JMU peeps)  and it was open until 2 or 3 in the morning. Typical college kids that we were, shoveling souvlaki and spanakopita in our faces like calories didn't exist. And they took the money from your college ID! I always went for the souvlaki or the cheesesteak. Oh it brings me back!! Life was so easy  back then.  I can't even imagine doing that now! I'd have to spend the entire next day in the gym! The first time I made this recipe I ate it for 4 days straight. It's that good! Of course it has my staple, nonfat greek yogurt. I can't help it if it works in every recipe! This dish is a great beat the heat meal and is even better cold the next day. Super healthy, flavorful, and simple! My favorite things! Ahhh it's good to be back :)

Ingredients
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
2 white or whole wheat pitas
Low-fat feta cheese (I got the block rather than crumbled and it's so much better, try it!)
Tomatoes, chopped

Marinade
2 tbsp. nonfat greek yogurt
1 tsp. fresh chopped garlic
1 tsp. dried oregano
2 tsp. red wine vinegar
2 tbsp. olive oil
Juice of 1/2 a lemon
Salt & Pepper to taste
1 tsp. fresh chopped dill

Tzatziki Sauce
5 oz. nonfat greek yogurt (I used to rest of the container after making the marinade)
1 tsp. fresh chopped garlic
1/4 cup diced, seeded cucumber
Juice of 1/2 a lemon
2 tbsp. fresh chopped dill
2 tsp. red wine vinegar
Salt & Pepper

Let me start by bragging about my garden! I can't tell you how much I love picking fresh veggies from right outside my door.


Ok ok...start by mixing the marinade for the chicken. Combine the greek yogurt, garlic, oregano, vinegar, olive oil, lemon, dill, and salt and pepper. Add the chicken, coat on both sides and refrigerate for at least 1 hour. 


While the chicken is marinating combine the ingredients for the tzatziki sauce. Gently mix the yogurt, dill, lemon, garlic, red wine vinegar, cucumber, and salt and pepper. 


Allow the sauce to refrigerate for a few hours to let the flavors come together.


Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. You could also grill the chicken but right now it's way to hot for me to stand over the grill. Or stand outside. Place the chicken on a foil lined (no clean up) baking sheet.


Bake for 25-30 minutes depending on the thickness of your chicken. The yogurt makes the chicken nice and tender. Now time to assemble. 


Soften the pita bread by tossing it in the oven for a minute or microwave for a few seconds. Slice the chicken into thin slices, top with feta cheese, tomatoes, and tzatziki sauce. Roll it up with foil to keep it from dripping all over you.



Opa!! This makes me think of John Stamos in the greek yogurt commercials. Or Full House. I'm pretty weird. 


Adapted from: A Bitchin' Kitchen

No comments:

Post a Comment