Sunday, July 8, 2012

Crunchy, Cheesy Zucchini Bake

One of the first green vegetables I started eating was zucchini. Now I adore it! It's so versatile and inexpensive, I always have it on hand. I usually grill it with balsamic which is delicious in itself but I wanted to do something different. This recipe is a healthier, easier, crunchier version of a traditional squash casserole. It's cheese and crunch, who doesn't like that. I think that Chin (other name for the boy, FYI) might even try this. He ate zucchini for the first 6 months or so of dating and then one day decided he didn't like it. I guess more accurately he never liked it, he was just trying to be nice. Men. I recommend making extra of this. You will eat more than you expect. Especially because it's semi guilt free!!

Ingredients
2 zucchini, sliced into half moons
1/8 cup parmesan cheese
1/4 cup part skim ricotta
1/4 cup mozzarella cheese (extra for topping)
1 clove of garlic, minced
1 tsp. fresh lemon thyme, minced
1 tbsp. fresh basil, minced (extra for garnish)
Salt & Pepper to taste
1/2 tsp. red pepper flake
1/4 cup mozzarella cheese (reserve some for topping)
1/8 cup panko breadcrumbs
Cooking spray

Start by slicing the zucchini into half moons. Chop the thyme, basil and garlic.


In a mixing bowl combine zucchini, herbs, cheeses, garlic, salt, pepper, and red pepper flake.



Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Add the zucchini mixture to a sprayed casserole dish. 


Top with panko and extra mozzarella cheese. 


Bake for 35-40 minutes then turn the broiler on for 1-2 minutes to create a crust of panko and cheese. Garnish with fresh basil.



I served it up with some delicious barbecue chicken. Classic American dinner!


Adapted from: Kalyn's Kitchen

No comments:

Post a Comment